Educational Seminars and Tests
- IATSE Stagecraft Proficiency Rigging, March 20 & 21, Ted Grant enterprises, Ripon WI
IATSE Training Trust Fund Courses
New to backstage? Check out these pages, then some of the other links below. And Welcome!
All documents are and remain property of IATSE Local 470, and are for informational purposes only. They may not be published or distributed without the consent of Local 470.
Membership and Special Departments Information
IATSE 470 is a "Mixed" Local. This means we cover all areas of technical theatre. Many of our members are "general" stagehands, covering Carpentry, Electrics, Sound, and Props. Others choose to specialize in other areas of the trade; Wardrobe, Wigs and Hair, Rigging, and Video and Film. Check out these pages for more info.
- Prospective Member Information Letter
- Stagehand Application Info
- Wardrobe Dept.
- Rigging Dept.
- Film Dept.
- Transfer/Second Card Procedure
"Stagehand Primer" and Study Guide
Local 470 has an active training program for apprentice members. The Stagehand's Primer is provided as an aid to apprentices studying to become Journeymen Stagehands, and is available to interested non-members as well. However, PLEASE NOTE: This "Stagehand Primer" is specifically intended for the use of the Stagehands and Apprentices of IATSE Local 470. It remains the property of the author, Mick Alderson, and the contents of this website may not be copied, saved, reproduced, or duplicated in any way, either in whole or in part, without the written consent of the author.
- "Stagehand Primer"
- Study Guide for New Members
- Study Guide in PDF (printer-friendlier)
- Knots Handout
- Hardware Studyguide
- Practical Test
- Practical Evaluation Forms
- Stagespeak glossary
- Safety Page and Resources
- Heat Safety
- Venue Safety Plans
- PMI Fall Protection Form
- Forklift Inspection form
- GES Forklift Inspection form
- Scissors Lift inspection form
- GES Scissors Lift inspection form
- Cart inspection form
- GES Cart inspection form
IATSE Local 470 is a Corporate Member of USITT Midwest Section. The Section offers several educational events and seminars each year, which Local members are elligible to attend.
IATSE Local 470 makes educational documents available for download. Many are available to Local Members ONLY, while others can be accessed below. If you are a member of the Local and need documents not available here contact Mick Alderson, at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
- IA 470 Rigging Standard - a Must-Read for Ground Riggers!
- Forklift Hand Signals
- How to Read a Light Plot
- Temporary Rigging
There are excellent on-line educational resources available as well:
- Official OSHA Web Site - lots of safety info
- Film Industry Info, excellent resources for stagehands working in the film industry from "Film Training Manitoba".