PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION
A testing committee of three honorable full card members will be assembled by the Local to score the practical knowledge portion of the exam. Please read carefully the judging criteria for each section. An applicant will fail immediately if he/she exhibits unsafe work habits or damages any equipment. The testing committee will confer and objectively decide if the applicant has satisfactorily completed the objectives and passed a particular section. Individual sections may be retaken once at the discretion of the testing committee; a second failure, however, requires the applicant to retake the entire exam no sooner than three months after the original testing date.
Test for Stage Apprentices only
--Applicant must hang and circuit a light plot (a sample is shown below).
--Applicant must be able to tie:
--Applicant should be able to name an application for each of the above knots.
--Applicant must be able to tie a snub knot.
--Applicant should be able to tie a prussic knot.
--Applicant should be able to show the proper method of attaching a crosby to a cable loop ("Never saddle a dead horse")
Given appropriate adaptors and a pre-patched interface with a house sound system:
--Applicant must show sufficient understanding of sound to connect:
--Applicant should power up the system correctly and must obtain sound at the house cluster when an input is applied to any of the three sources above.
--Applicant should show the location of the house equalizer and describe its function.
--During the hanging of the light plot in the electrics portion of this practical exam, applicant must operate the counterweight system safely and make proper calls when moving line sets.
Given appropriate selection of hardware:
RUNNING A FLAT
--With a flat or book flat at least 3'-0" wide and 10'-0" high,
FOLLOW SPOT OPERATION
Spotlight test will consist of setting up a spotlight and taking called cues over headset, as in a show environment.
Testing committee shall set up three adjecent person-sized "targets" on stage (e.g. three mic stands with milk jugs or hats for heads), and supply candidate with 4 colors in frames.
Candidate shall be given time to install color, adjust the followspot, align a sight, set reference points, try out a few practice pickups, etc. When ready, examiner will call a series of cues (preferably on headset) in the manner of a stagemanager, with "Warnings", "Standbys", and "Goes".
Candidate must successfully perform the cue sequence to the minimum satisfaction of the testing committee.Sample cues:
Test for Wardrobe Apprentices only
1. Applicant should arrive for the exam as you would for a work call.
2. Applicant must sew on following onto designated fabric:
3. Applicant must demonstrate the ability to make emergency seam repair.
4. Applicant must give a brief discussion of the proper actions and demonstrate the ability to make a repair in the following situation:
5. Applicant must assist an 'actor' in making a quick costume change.
6. Applicant must be able to iron six unidentifed fabrics in proper order and explain the order used (and any other precautions) when ironing the fabrics.
7. The Applicant must show ability to operate a domestic sewing machine.
8. Applicant must show the ability to fill and operate a clothes steamer. Applicant must show proper safety precautions, explain method(s) used to steam the garment, and how to avoid damage to fablic.
9. Applicant must polish a pair of dress shoes with paste polish.
10. Applicant must demonstrate different hand sewing stitches, such as cross-stitch, couch stitch (a.k.a. vertical hem), whipstitch, blind hem stitch.
11. You will be given a very wrinkled dress shirt and allowed 8 minutes to iron it.
12. Tie a man's tie (either on yourself or on another person) in a basic half-windsor.
Applicant must discuss the following:
13. You need to use a product that requires ventilation. You do not have any prearranged area for this. What precautions/place do you use>
Other than ventilation, what precautions do you use when applying and "curing" Barge Cement?